We have heard numerous times already that you should get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night for the body to function well. What other people tend to forget is that it is not only the number of hours of sleep per night that is important, but the quality as well. To put it simply, quality and quantity are both crucial parameters of a revitalizing sleep.
In order to help you, we have collected some of the most simple, but surely effective sleeping tips that are not only based on hearsays, but on scientific studies. So without further ado, here are some of the tips that you should know and hopefully, follow.
- As much as possible, you should avoid using your phone and laptops hours before you retire to bed. A lot of studies have shown that the blue light emitted by these devices can keep you awake at night. The reason behind this is related to the suppression of melatonin production, which, in turn, will keep you awake. Thus, look for the best mattress.
- A good and pleasant smelling room is always great especially when you want to fall asleep. A study done in 2005 proved that the smell of lavender just before you go to bed can help you achieve a deeper sleep.
- Noise is another thing that can prevent you from having a good sleep. According to studies, even if you are already sleeping, your brain is still programmed to listen for sounds of danger. Experts found out that white noise or sounds from nature can help drown out unnecessary noises that keep you awake from night.
- A hot and relaxing bath has been proven to help you to fall asleep more quickly. The rationale behind this is related to the change in body’s temperature. Basically, the warm water raises the temperature of your body slightly during bath. After your warm bath, your body will then cool down, mimicking the body’s natural temperature drop when you are about to fall asleep.
- A good mattress that specifically fits your needs is very important. It has been proven many times already by experts that an uncomfortable mattress can cause you to have sleepless nights. Therefore, it is crucial that you recognize the signs when it is finally time to get a new one. Depending on the type, mattresses usually lasts around 5 to 10 years.
- Napping for a long time every afternoon is not recommended, but a little snooze may actually help. Actually, it can help boost your alertness and job performance. In addition to this, it can even sharpen your memory. Studies suggest that you do 30-minute naps only. Also, make sure that it is not close to your bedtime.
- Doing deep breathing exercises will help a lot. Breathing deeply will signal your body to relax, thereby, making you calm. Scientifically, it can stimulate the body’s parasympathetic system.
- If you are really having troubles falling asleep, then get out of bed and do something that you find relaxing. This is what experts found to be effective to help you fall asleep much faster. Once you are already relaxed, then climb back to bed and you can now journey to your dreamland.
There are many awesome tips available to help you not just fall asleep, but also improve its quality as well. Those we have collected above have been proven time and again by studies and experts so if you are looking for effective tips, make sure to check our list first. Before you know it, you do not have problems in falling asleep anymore. Good luck!